Not long after my fairly positive post, it is time to report on the recent meltdown I had. Of course I think of you readers! It would be pretty boring bringing you just good news.
Kat doodles about life and speaks about languages:
Just over a year ago, when I started doodling my thoughts on slightly more regular basis and making other people enter my inner world, the really one thing I hoped for to be in a better place in the future. And you know what?! I am in a better place than I was a year ago. There were lot of ups and certainly downs along the way, including the drama, tears and hands covering faces moments, but things are very much looking up. And for a good while, I have been sharing my adventures and more to come with someone new. He turned up in my life-like it was a perfectly written film script.
Kat doodles about life and accepts new challenge:
If you are reading my blog for the first time, specifically due to new challenge, let me give you little introduction. My name is Kat, I am Czech born, 28 years of age, Aries, living in the UK for more than 9 years and my friends describe me as ‘hilarious’. I left home at 19. Three days after passing A-levels I was off discovering world abroad and somehow still not planning to change that quite yet. I have gone through all sorts of jobs, adventures, but travels and art were always my thing. Somehow I got accepted to university, which has the word ‘royal’ in its name, so it sounds great when you speak to people and they give you that acknowledging look. But even going to this amazing place my life since graduation is not posh at all and I have been struggling to make my living needs only just from doing art. So I somehow currently ended up in four jobs I run in between with still never enough money to this day. The blog was born sometime ago, but with being all over the place with too many things to do, I never had enough focus to keep it going.
And then it happened! I went for this internship in interior design and was told I cannot get it, because I do not drive! It was a slap in a face for my own incapability, not the lack of talent (which of course I am questioning every day). So I decided to get my act together and set myself a challenge to blog for 92 days solid and do something productive, to get things going. To see if I can beat my fear of driving, of inner myself and get on with the career I really want to have. Otherwise I am a loser and I might simply just give up and get a “normal” job, whatever that would mean for me. And things started to look up, I finally got into that car, arty opportunities started to appear and 92 days was gone without even me realizing.
So here we are, year 2014 and I decided to create new challenge for me since the last one made a difference. I call it 3 Days Challenge. I will start today on 3rd January and will be blogging every third day! For the whole entire year. Crazy you think, I know! I think so too. But that is simply, who I am. Ideally I would like to keep each blog post more artistic and relevant rather than me going on about what I had for dinner or about that cute guy I met at work, but I am sure something like this will sneak in anyway. With the daily challenge it was difficult, so I am hoping three days is just enough time to have a bit off time off, do the normal household stuff and still be artistic in some way. I have created list of challenges I would like to achieve or at least somehow move on with:
- become fully freelance or employed in art& design- meaning doing anything in theatre design, interior design, visual merchandising, 3D related industries, decorating…
- give up my two little jobs- even to the sadness of my bosses (before they do it for me), although we always had great relationships and they both secretly know I need to get on with this “art thing”
- improve in my interpreting job- to see what I can do about moving on to next band
- learn how to drive- which will mean the actual driving, passing theory test, practical test, and then it comes to the even more expensive bit of buying the car, an insurance, plus I am sure the list goes on.
- become fluent in AutoCad and all the other related programs required by the industry- it was either this or learning how to drive, which became blatantly more important
- focus more on social media, update my Facebook Page, do more networking and use the time more effectively instead of watching funny videos as I am sure we are all guilty of.
- create a proper website since I now bought a proper domain name, which is simple enough to pronounce rather using my full name
- and obviously make sure I blog every three days- I am thinking I might do like a monthly project to stay focused, see what happens once I start.
- start translating this challenge into Czech for sister version of this blog, which has been neglected since last year. And I mean very neglected.
- have fun, meet new people, make effort. Think before I say anything, which is usually what gets into trouble. And say yes to new opportunities.
So I think that is it! I am sure there are more resolutions, but they may appear as we go. Not ambitious list at all! Walk in a park, I say! Obviously if any of you have any ideas or would like to collaborate, let me know!
And not be alone in this crazy challenge I have these people, who feel very similar about their life. Ladies and gents, let me introduce You to all brave men and women, who taking up challenges of their own!!!
music to your ears will bring:
Mr. Sawlid and Mr Dj are stopping smoking (they do not have a blog, but they will be updating me on regular basis apparently)
for the ideal trim figure is looking:
IT/Blog list of resolutions has:
Bex with Blogging Goals 2014
and last but not least in our non resolution pile is:
Now, I had a lot of interest from other people, so I guess they are waiting to see what is this whole thing about. Please feel free to join us at any time during this year, with whatever your challenge is and your decision on how to number posts. Details and few little reminders on the posting etiquette can be found here. Enjoy the journeys and happy reading!!!
Kat doodles about life:
I am not very good at getting up, in case you have not noticed. I like to have time to wake up slowly, have a good breakfast, check the e-mail, and then start. When working in catering, there are not many days like this. I used to even wake up 4 am to start at 5 :30 am. Thank God those days are over. I am rather used to work until late at night or early hours of the morning, or even to carry on the next day without any sleep. I had many of these ‘the adrenalin is high, let’s just carry on’ situations during my theatre design degree. Being ill for the last four weeks did not help either, because my body clock is used to sleeping whenever, so last night I set up my alarm on about ten different times as my third driving lesson was booked for 8 am. It was either that or driving on 24th December, which is my Christmas Day. What do you think happened? Of course I overslept! Good job I had everything ready, so in five minutes I was sitting in the car trying to quickly wake up before we swap the sides. I guess it is a good exercise to experience, because it will happen in real life simply knowing how much I like ‘the mornings’.
My last lesson was five weeks ago, plus with this late start, I thought I am going to be terrible, but it was not as bad as I expected. Obviously there were few panic moments, but it was just due to getting into more complicated traffic situations. However there was an improvement from first to second gear straight away, putting gear into first one, when starting, I even went up to 30 mph, drove up some fairly steep hills, went through junctions with more traffic and lot more stopping and starting up and down the hill. The car suddenly does not feel as terrifying and certain moves are becoming a habit. I am quite happy I waited this long, because I have the knowledge of the highway code from cycling, less things to learn, nevermind doing it in second language and on the opposite side, and I am confident enough to say something in case I would not be happy with my driving instructor. Mine is so friendly, patient and easygoing, it makes such a difference, when I make a mistakes. If I would be 17 and had a stressed driving instructor as you hear some of the horror stories, I am not sure if I would be strong enough to say I am not happy with the way you teach me and I would go blank and panic even lot more . Thankfully that is not the case and so far I am making progress, so that is great to know.
I spent the afternoon getting few things done including correction of my new student’s cv. We spoke on the phone later and he was very excited telling me about that Italian cookbook I left there, as I mentioned two posts ago. He was very happy flicking through, translated four recipes, wrote down the vocabulary he needed to look for in a dictionary and even made one of the recipes! How impressive! I was so pleased my personalised first lesson got him so motivated, so when he goes out tomorrow searching for the job again, I hope he is more successful. I am sure he will be speaking in no time with this attitude.
It is really wonderful, when people believe in you and you believe in others. Getting excited, more understanding and patient were the qualities I missed a lot in my school days from some of my teachers. It does not mean you are stupid, just the way you learn more effectively is different and you should not be punished for it. I have discovered that once I left abroad, had the experience of life and started to study the Foundation Diploma in Art&Design, here in the UK. When coming home for holidays I started doing these talks in Art and English lessons back at the same school, where I started. And I can tell you my English teacher was not happy, when I told the students that I was really bad and definitely not her favourite. And as the years went on and I got accepted to university here or passed CPE last year, she would still have that judgemental look on her face every time I saw her and would not really believe me. And you know what and I may never be absolutely perfect, but it is more than enough to make me live the way I want to. Bohumil Hrabal, writer, who went to our school, who failed in Czech language, or Albert Einstein, when failing Maths, were always my great heroes. And look how far they got! Failure does not mean stupidity!
It is not about how much you know and being academic type, it is about how you find it, use it and make it work. It is about being motivated, believing in your dreams and working hard for them. Attitude Czech education is definitely missing and when recently reading this article, it seems it still does, although it may be getting better since the new generation of teachers is going in and the speedy development of the technology. So anyway to end this critical point I have about Czech primary and secondary education, I am very happy about this rather productive Friday and how great it is to bring happiness to other people when using the right teaching methods. Back tomorrow. Kat xx
Kat is honoured, gets arty and doodles about life:
Last night I decided to clean up little bit of my WordPress Dashboard and put the things into the right place. I got rid off the category Kat shows her work, since it only had 2 posts. Over the time, especially since starting the challenge, I have realized I talk too much about all this art or what is happening, it becomes more relevant for category Kat gets arty. Plus I finally got the hang of tagging other categories within the post. So I can keep calm, it is all making sense and it is organized! Ufff.
The other thing I added is new 92 days challenge as a category and in the last few nights I have been thinking what will happen after I get to the point of 92 days. Quite honestly I am actually really enjoying this and I feel like it is certainly pushing me forward, so I do not want to stop. Not even for a little holiday, because knowing myself, I won’t start again. So what I am going to do? I was thinking perhaps do one, which is year-long? I know you all love to read about my unconventional life right? But then what happens if I find that job and become full-time art person? What happens next if I cannot write about what happens at work, because of the confidentiality clause? So I thought the other option is to keep my challenge sweet and short. By month. And by tasks. I could perhaps do month of scenic painting, month of model making, month of.. hmmm let me think.
The other issue about my blog is: What do I do with my Czech version? I have become so bad with my own native language, I should really go back to it. At the moment is has only few posts and I have properly neglected it. Shame on me. Unless there is enthusiastic linguist, who would love to take on the challenge and translate my 70 posts so far. However being witty the same way as me. Now that is a challenge! Working on two blogs is quite hard work whilst everything else is going on in my life at the same time, so I will have to give it a bit of a thought.
Last but not least in this post is Liebster Award! How amazing! The very lovely learnermother has nominated me, because she thinks I’m pretty awesome. Eeeh or rather my writing is pretty awesome. “Kat, where is your modesty?” Alright, alright, I am just too excited someone actually likes my doodling.
Ok, call me a bit stupid, but I have answered the same questions as learnermother answered, so when I found the real questions, I realized I have to do it all over again…dddhhh obviously my brain is not on back on track yet. So I thought at least I keep this one, because it has some entertaining you tube videos.
5. What was or would be your first dance at your wedding?
I am really bad with dancing or any steps, so it would have to be one of these Greek type of songs I learnt and have not forgotten yet: Zorba’s Dance or if you see me later on with little more to drink I will be more in touch with my Central/Eastern European roots looking like these boys at 03:45 holding my hands and kicking my feet into the air. Although might prove a bit of a problem with a wedding dress.
So here are my answers to those real questions.
1. What tipped you over the edge from thinking ‘I’d like to blog’ to actually writing your first post?
My friends always tell me my life is so exciting and so unbelievable I should write all my stories down. So I did and it was very much like watching Sex and The City. However being a blog novice I struggled with how many people know me and how do I protect my privacy, so I stopped. Sometime after I revisited and decided I should rather write about my non existing art intentions instead, so there it was.
2. You could be anywhere, right now. Where? And why?
Currently it would be nice somewhere nice and warm, not too hot, not too cold, I have not had a holiday for a long time, so nice trip away with a friend would be very welcome.
3. Twitter. Love it or hate it?
I would not say hate it, but it is not my favourite.
4. What’s your favourite joke?
I make people laugh, because none of my jokes are funny, so they laugh at me. But if its has to be my favourite ones are the ones, which come out of my mouth in a spare of a moment. “My standards are so low, I can’t go any lower” (on looking for a boyfriend)
5. Are you a shouty stormer-outerer, or a silent sulker?
A bit of both, it depends on the situation.
6. What’s your absolute worst fear?
I am getting over the fear of driving, so the next fear would to be not being loved I guess.
7. How often you do you cry?
All the bloody time. Give me X factor audition, Notebook- the movie or too much wine and good looking man, and I will be weeping rivers.
8. Are you superstitious and if so in what way?
Nooo. It is all in your head. Stop it.
9. Which blog post are you most proud of?
So who I would like to nominate
Learner mother– Can we nominate someone back? If so I would do the same. Very witty, admirable lady with three children, two business, and one husband (he was my boss, so I guess that says it all, right?)… and she has always something on the go. She is just simply great. Definitely worth checking her blog. I do not know how she does it all.
Mason Bentley style– Well, well, well, what do I say. Very interesting lady, fashion blogger, great photographs, wit, blog party organizer, mum. She gives to fashion that rather more human look and I enjoy reading her post very much.
Fashion Mayann– I love, love, love her blog. Very artistic, very creative and very fun. She combines fashion with real life and her posts are about conceptual or realized designs of other designers. For me as theatre designer it is a joy for eyes, as the images she picks up are starting research point to my work.
Culture Monk– Alright I know I have talked about him so much, probably to the point of annoying now. If you like to know more read the post Day 51 or simply click on his blog to read. It is pretty good.
The crazy bag lady– Fab illustrator and a challenge lady. She has been pushed by a friend to get creative and her latest project was two hundred black and white illustrations of animals, objects and all sorts of other things. Her next? challenge is now to colour them and get them out there.
Project Pontcanna– My friend Mandi was illustrating her life around when living in Pontcanna in Cardiff. She is no longer living there, but I hope there might be a new project coming up based on where she lives now… 🙂
And here are my questions:
1. Who are your three favourite comedians and why?
2. What made you decide to be Kat’s follower or a friend?
3. What is your favourite book now and which one was it as a child?
4. The shoes to wear in Prague are..? Heels or flats? Do you have any connections to anything Czech?
5. How about everyday challenge, as Kat writes right now, would you go for that and what would you write about?
6. Do you have any regrets in life?
7. What is your next project? And did you start already?
Lots of love and looking forward to the answers, plus back tomorrow with the rest of you. Byyyyye Kat xx
Kat doodles about life:
Today it will quick one,as I spend the day working, cycling, making my room reasonable tidy, going through paperwork and receipts and food shopping as nothing was in the larder apart from spices and washing powder.
1. I received really interesting e-mail, but won’t reveal anything yet, as it more someone else’s project, but I will ask them if they are interested in getting the message out there. Certainly creative based.
2. I received response from Headliner, after nearly deleting the account last night as I was not getting any engagement via my Twitter or Facebook to promote my page and obviously spreading the message about me looking for a creative job. My promotion should be posted on Saturday evening, so I will update you on that, I am curious to see how much social traffic it brings. If anyone has an experience with this social media, let me you your opinion.
3. Recently I posted pile of postcards to send some love to my friends and family. I usually do it with special Christmas card, which included a quiz for the last two years, but this year I am feeling little more loving and missing everyone a bit earlier as I am not planning to go home for festive season, so I thought I will show you, what kind of beauties Bristol offers. I mean Suspension Bridge is first thing you notice never mind from the bus, but even on the plane!!! So who is going to be lucky this time? 🙂
That’s it for today, I am off going to do little more research for creative meeting tomorrow after work. Have a lovely Friday. Kat
P.S. I would totally forgot to tell you my first ever driving lesson is now officially booked for 28th October. So better get yourself somewhere safe that Monday. Love to all of you.xx
Kat doodles about life:
Hello everybody, what an exciting day today! I am two weeks in and I cannot believe it myself. I have managed to do something productive every single day for the last two weeks and then having to write about it. Not something I would imagine of doing when running between shifts, going out few times during the week and even when feeling tired and admittedly a bit lazy. But even missing a day of writing although being productive, I managed to catch up, so we are on the right numbers and going strong. Today it is a quick review of what has been happening the last seven days and what I have been up to today:
- On Tuesday I went to see Lanterns on the Lake playing in Rise record shop. Beautiful autumn matching sounds and voices. Just reminding, if you have not got anything else to do this Thursday in Bristol, they are playing in Thekla.
- Updates from fellow challengers: Friend n.3 just started working, but he is taking time to think about what is the plan when learning the languages and I am staying tuned for more info. Friend n.5 messaged me today and so pleased to say she has not bought one magazine all week and opened up new savings account!!! How brilliant and massive well done lady! Just think you are suddenly lot closer to purchasing that car. Lastly I got a great text from new friend n.6. He decided after twenty years of doing so to quit smoking and started counting the days with me by picking the courage. Very pleased to hear from you guys, just take little step, one after another and you will be on fire before you even know it.
- Talking about jam jar turned into a bee saving jar, I counted all the change and it turned out £33 pounds in there, going straight to do some more good in my bank account. I am making note of the day and see how long it will take me to fill it up again using the same change with anything from 1p to 50p.
- I have also experienced this week embarrassing red turning moment, when virtual world of blogging turned into the real one.
- On the other hand there are some exciting art projects coming up, so let’s keep fingers crossed.
- And keep them crossed all of YOU start to look around as my provisional driving licence arrived. That reminds me I need to book that first lesson. Now where is this Some Day/May be list?
- Going all technical I have discovered and shared some WordPress Settings wonders and wisdom of Joe Seeber. Updating my post About Kat and linking all social media accounts together. Ended the week giving few tips on how I organize my e-mail account.
So yeah that was the last seven days, who would have thought you can fit so much into your free time, going out three times, and working, eating and doing all the needed activities to function. However I think this means catching up and staying in more in this week.
As it is Monday and Week two review, I went through my drawers and looked at all pieces of paper with all tasks of what to do. I have not done it fully, but I covered the important ones. It did feel amazing to get rid off all the pieces of paper of tasks achieved. I have few unavoidable appointments tomorrow in town, so I made shopping list for anything from food to electrical equipment and furniture I need to go and get, but will see what happens tomorrow and how the day goes. Shopping is not my favourite activity to do, so I hope to make it painless as possible with meeting a friend for a drink later on.
Apart from making lists of what to do tomorrow, I cleared few e-mails, joined the Headliner.Fm to promote my blog, although have not had much time to look properly how it works yet with Karma cash. If anyone has an experience with it, feel free to share your thoughts. And lastly I was catching up with my guilty pleasure telly (I rather not share which one) whilst sticking images of nature, buildings and architecture into my new 3D spatial scrapbook. I will be posting some inspiration pictures, once that is done.
And finally I have now 17 blog followers, 8 Twitter followers, 16 Instagram followers and 90 Facebook Page Likes and more countless likes between all of them. Numbers are growing and Thank You for your support in sharing it with your friends and I hope you will continue to enjoy my challenge updates. With Love, Kat xx